Commenius University is the oldest and the biggest university in Slovakia, because it was founded on June 27th, 1919. Commenius University follows the university tradition of the Academia Istropolitana which was established in Bratislava by Matthias Corvinus, the Hungarian King, in 1465. Faculty of medicine exists since 1919. University consists of 13 faculties. There are 27,000 students enrolled within all three degree study programmes, within which are almost 2,400 international students from 70 countries. Commenius University has more than 340 partners: european universities located in 30 countries, all of which have concluded bilateral agreements with Comenius university as part of the Erasmus+ programme. The most visited countries by our students as part of the LLP/ERASMUS programme include Spain, Germany and the Czech republic.
ince 2001/2002 the credit system (ECTS system) has been introduced to Faculty of medicine. This makes transfers to Faculty much more easier.
Degree from Faculty of medicine is recognised automatically in Europe and in most countries of the world. Graduates obtain fluency in English language, so most of graduates may find employment within 6 months from graduation.
Faculty of medicine at Commenius University is located in Bratislava, capital of Slovakia. Bratislava is located in western Slovakia and is only 50 kilometers away from Vienna, capital of Austria (Bratislava and Austria are 2 closest capitals in the world).
There are 2 types of scholarships offered by Faculty of Medicine –
a) social scholarship – Social scholarships are offered only for students with pernament residence in Slovakia.
b) motivational scholarship – Motivational scholarship is awarded to students with the best study results (student must have at least 54 ECTS credits and pass every exam with result A-E) and to students who achieved exceptional results and shared good reputation about Faculty of Medicine in Bratislava (in field of scientific publications; in sports, artistic or education competitions). Only 10% of students are eligible to obtain motivational scholarship.
Faculty of medicine does not offer accomodation for international students. Since Bratislava is one the expensive cities in Europe, the best option is to get in touch with your future schoolmates or current students at University and arrange shared flat together.
Programme of Dental medicine is offered at Faculty of Medicine (Commenius University). It is full-time 6 years programme (joint 1st and 2nd degree). Graduates are awarded degree MDDr. (Medicinae Dentale Doctor). Tuition fee for 2 semester (one study year) is 11 000€.
There are around 25 students accepted each year to Dental medicine program.
Tuition fee for Dental medicine is 11 000€ per 2 semesters.
Bratislava is one of the most expensive city in the central Europe. If you stick to student standard of living, you can survive with 400-500€ (depends on cost of rented flat) a month.
Total cost for one year of studying of Dental medicine is around 15 000€ (coursebooks not included).
Applicant must have completed secondary school studies or secondary studies completed with a school leaving certificate.
Applicants wishing to study at Faculty of medicine (Comenius University) must take an entrance examination. There are usually two terms of entrance examination – in June and in August. Applicants will be lined up according to their results in Entrance examination. The most successful students will be offered place at University.
Applicants can score maximum 800 points. In 2016, it was decided, only applicants with at least 600 points will be enrolled (General Medicine) and 734 points (Dental Medicine).
Test assessment is anonymous, so absolute objectivity is secured. Form of entrance examination is multiple choice test. Databank with questions can be bought at Faculty´s Bookstore or given by our Agency. Maximum points from entrance examination is 800.
There are 100 questions from biology and 100 questions from Chemistry. Duration of an entrance examination is 180 minutes.
Applicants will find results of entrance examination on Faculty webpage fmed.uniba.sk at the same day of the entrance examination according to assigned individual identification code and on the notice board of the Faculty of Medicine of Comenius University).
Following documents are required for an application:
• Birth certificate – Document must be officially translated into Slovak language (also English versions are accepted)
• Signed application form – application form should be filled in on Faculties page, printed and signed
• General Certificate of Secondary Education – document must be submitted to Faculty in Slovak or English until deadline for an application and validated until enrollment. In case that student does not have original of GSCE on the day of an entrance examination, it is necessary to submit Official confirmation from Secondary School about succesful graduation at the Secondary School with date, stamp and signature from director of the secondary school. This document may be used only temporarily.
• Certificate about vaccination against hepatitis B
• Document stating, that you transfered 80€ for an entrance examination
• Photocopy of passport
• 3 passport pictures
After applicant successfully pass an entrance examination, there are following documents, that must be submitted until enrollment:
1. Validated School General Certificate of Secondary Education – document must be validated in both country of issuance and in Slovakia. Document must be translated by court translator in Slovakia to Slovak language.
2. Recognition of secondary education from abroad – Faculty of Medicine in Bratislava requires statement of equivalence of secondary education toward Slovak level of education. This document will confirm, that level of education of applicant is satisfactory and relevant according to Slovak requirements for education
Transfers of students are possible to programmes General Medicine and Dental Medicine. Every perspective student must take an entrance examination, which takes place in Bratislava. After passing an entrance examination, student is enrolled to first study year, but can ask for recognition of completed courses from another University.
There is no guarantee, that student will be enrolled to higher studying year – every case is individual.